What we do
To communicate, exchange ideas and share information on a global basis, our services can be classified in three strands: Networking, Consultation and Training.
IFCO brings together people involved in foster care so that they can exchange information and good practice in family-based care. This is achieved by :
- conferences and training seminars
- The development of regional networks. At present we have an active network in Latin America and Central and Eastern Europe
- web-based forums and emailing
- resources of expertise worldwide
IFCO has established a worldwide network. You can share your ideas and your comments with other people from all over the world through our discussion list. To register, please go to topic a registration page and follow the steps!
You can also just send a blank email from the email account you wish to use to: firstname.lastname@example.org and then confirm by responding to the return message.
IFCO has also established regional networks to spread information and news among their members. Three networks in Asia, East Europe and South America are already active. The African network is presently being developed. For more information concerning the presence of IFCO in these regions click on each of them in the map below.
Thanks to its expertise in international standards, practices and legislation in foster care, IFCO provides valuable input into the following areas:
- Advice to governmental and non-governmental organisations on how to develop or improve family-based substitute care.
- Advise to Foster Care Associations on how to set up an association, how to improve services and how to develop advocacy for foster carers’ and children’s rights.
IFCO advises Youth in care associations on how to set up an association and how they can become advocates in their specific countries.
View our projects page to learn more about our recent projects.
IFCO provides an introduction to international foster care based on its internationally recognized guidelines.
- We trains the trainers in different aspects of foster care
- We connect people to training providers
- We provide training on request about any aspect of foster care